Friday, August 19, 2011

Scanning Negatives Photography Project - from Roll 2



Just a quick heads-up about this photo, there is nothing really great about this picture I know that, I really do. So why on earth would I be posting this picture? As photographers we capture images of moments in time, we are not always required to make memories for others, sometimes we need to make them for ourselves.

When I look at this picture (late December 1978) I see an image of a friend of mine who's mind is happy about the moment. Looking back we were both in our own element and for me that is a good memory. I know that I can look back on this photo and see so much more in it than anyone else would see, and that is something I like about it, this picture has a special meaning to me.

I really need to make some sort of point here about photography so here goes. With the world in more advanced stages of technology we are in a position to really capture more images and video than ever before. When I first got my 35mm film camera back in 1978 I never imagined technology taking us to where it is today.

When it comes to taking pictures these days, take a lot of them. For the younger photographers, take a lot of pictures. If I had this technology back when I was growing up I would have taken a ton more photos. Now this photo of my friend has meaning to me. I smile every time I look at it. I took this photo without considering anything about taking good pictures, basically because I did not know any better, it was my second role of film.

Looking at this photo from a project learning perspective, I may have moved closer to the subject to take a better photo of the subject. But because the barometer is in the picture I know exactly where it was taken. I was new to the use of a camera flash at the time and looking at this image it is obvious where the hot-spot is directed. Taking this photo at the moment I did was great from the perspective that this image could not be easily replicated or duplicated, in other words it was a once in a lifetime shot. It was a spur of the moment shot that was pure as it was taken and has brought back good memories for years.

My first 35mm camera had a fixed 50mm lens and even though it had limitations I needed to learn to consider the subject and the surroundings when taking pictures. That is something you should also consider. In this digital age we tend to rely on the fact that we can always crop out portions of an image we don’t want. I say, you should still try to fill your lens with quality imagery so you have more of the original image data in the final picture. I believe this improves crispness and clarity in the final image.

My suggestion to you is this, be sure to take some pictures that make you smile. One day thirty some years from now, you might be glad you did. You can think about it.

Enjoy Life! Take Pictures!

BTW ...
On Twitter I am @TMSphotos ... I am always willing to connect with photographers.

You are also welcome to join my Blog here. I try to share knowledge, information and experience of my photography.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you,I very seldom treat my photos,partly because I`m not good at it,but also `cause I know it destroys the quality.I allways bring with my camera,so most of my photos are taken in a hurry :)But thank you for reminding me of taking pics that make me smile.I do that in phorographing nature,`cause beauty makes me smile,but I often forget it in settings with people.I`ll remember that,we need all the joy we can get in an often challenging day.
    Gry

    ReplyDelete