Friday, November 11, 2011

Sunrise Ship at Sea and Sirracusa, Sicily

Scanning Negatives Project - from Roll 6



I took this photo in 1979 and I would like you to keep in mind that this image is a scan from a negative which explains some of the poor markings in the image. I need to make time to photoshop this image a bit.

Here is the story behind this photo. I had just been relieved from duty and I took a walk on the ships fantail, this is the level right below the helo deck. I saw that we had just completed replenishment detail with this ship and I knew it would be pulling away. I had a feeling that this would be a great photo opportunity and I ran back to the compartment to grab my camera.

When I returned to the fantail the ship had already pulled away and I did a quick focus, meter and shoot. I was very glad I did because the ship quickly turned and the timing of this shot was very fortunate.

After I had completed shooting the roll of film I sent it off in a prepaid film developing envelope and I was very pleased with the outcome of this photo. This is one of many photos I took that was in our ships cruise book. Sometimes timing is everything, and that’s how I felt when I saw this picture.

The picture below is another personal favorite of mine.


This alter is inside the church ruins of San Giovanni in Siracusa, Sicily. Our tour guide and other references I have say that it is believed that St. Paul had preached here on his way to Rome.

Here is a photo of the church ruins I took. It’s not great but it is good to tell the story with. That why it is good to purchase local tour books and postcards when you travel. You can add them to your mix of pics and tell a story.


Looking back this was quite a memorable experience for me. If I had to do it again I would do it in a heartbeat.

Enjoy Life, Take Pictures!

BTW ... On Twitter I am @TMSphotos ... I am always willing to connect with photographers.  You are also welcome to follow my Blog here. I try to share knowledge, information and experience of my photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment