Pages

Monday, January 25, 2016

Full Moon Photography

Full moon photography can be challenging especially if you don't have the right equipment. Today I want to write about a couple of things regarding this subject. One is, if you're using a DSLR, you may not have a good zoom lens and/or a lens multiplier. Two, there may be a solution with a compact digital camera.

So let's review the DSLR method. With the right lens and the right multiplier you can get outstanding shots of the moon. I've seen photos online where a 200mm and 300mm zoom lenses plus a two multiplier was able to take great shots. I also have experience in taking moon photos with this type of equipment. What I have noticed is that you find yourself editing the image and cropping it to make the image look good. I'm ok with that. 

On the other hand, I also have a Nikon Coolpix P520. This camera falls under the compact digital camera format. It has a lot of functionality for a camera in this category. For example, the focal length is 4.3-180 mm (angle of view equivalent to that of 24-1000 mm lens in 35mm [135] format). Now I've had this camera for a while and I understand there are newer models available, but for me, I have specific use for this camera and I enjoy it.

The following image was shot with my Nikon Coolpix P520 at full zoom plus 2X digital zoom (part of the cameras functionality). So in essence, it was a shot with 2000mm zoom. Let's take a look.


Now keep in mind that I did put the camera on a tripod for stability and this is what I captured. I was actually pleased with this image but then I popped it open in Lightroom. All I did was crop this image and got the following.


So in order to photograph the moon it is best done with the camera mounted on a tripod. If using a DSLR turn off VR. Use your equipment to the best of its ability. Then edit as needed and share.

One other note, this Full moon capture was done on Christmas 2015. The last time there was a full moon on Christmas Day was in 1977. This won't happen again until 2034, with any luck I'll be around to photograph that one too.

For a real kewl look at a full moon visit https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/rare-full-moon-on-christmas-day I think it's an outstanding looking image.


Enjoy Life, Take Pictures!

BTW ... On Twitter I am @TMSphotos ... I am always willing to connect with photographers.

You are also welcome to follow my Blog here. I try to share knowledge, information and experience of my photography.

"LIKE" my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/TMSphotographyChicago and keep up with my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment